This post discusses the meaning of marriage, its origin and its seven major purposes for which it’s created.
“The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”…But for Adam no suitable helper was found.21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said,“This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh she shall be called ‘woman, for she was taken out of man.24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh. (Genesis 2: 18-24)
Origin Of Marriage
Marriage has existed as far as man has existed from the beginning of creation in the garden of Eden, 2000-years BC. The existence of marriage began in the Garden of Eden immediately after Eve came to existence. God, in His divine plan, created it for the comfort of humanity. And ever since its creation, it has been serving man a great purpose in life since its creation up till today.
The word “marriage” derives from two Latin words marītāre meaning to provide with a husband or wife and marītāri meaning to get married.
From the etymological explanation above, we can easily say marriage is the act or process of providing a man with a wife, or a woman with a husband in order to get married.
Marriage or wedlock or matrimony or nuptial is a legal or formal onion or legal contract between man and woman who are ready to be committed to each other to become husband and wife for life—Wikipedia.
Christian Definition Of Marriage
- Marriage is a divine institution, a union between a spiritually mature man and woman who have agreed to come together to be committed to each as husband and wife and hence become one in love forever.
- Marriage is a divine institution, a covenant, a bond, a tool of comfort, a tool of perfection, a spiritual house built by God, a remedy, an instrument of liberty and unity, a divinely covenanted instrument for earthly dominion, and a powerful union between two persons, usually a man and a woman, who are financially, emotionally, physically, spiritually and mentally mature, and who have agreed to come together to be committed to each other as husband and wife and thus become one forever, in truly pure and unfeigned love.
- It’s a perfect state of honour, dignity, respect.
- It’s a vital component of human being’s life.
- It’s a great tool of complement to man’s life.
- It’s a problem solving tool, a remedy for fornication (sexual immorality)
- It’s a comfort giving tool
- It is a covenant institution.
Marriage ceremony is Biblically seen by the Christians as one which is honourable, very necessary, important and significant in conformity to the doctrine of the Bible. Marriage is a covenant relationship, and it’s not just for the purpose of procreation only, though having children is seen as one—one of the blessings of marriage—of the sole and basic aims of the creation of marriage in the Scripture, but it’s clear that marriage means much more than this. Moreover, as some people have been making this ignorant mistake by seeing and thinking that marriage is merely for co-habiting with opposite sex, this perception is very wrong because marriage goes beyond this. Marriage is a special covenant that should not be broken—this is how God created it. Christians are commanded to honour it as one which holy—as this is normal and as it’s in the will of God for them to do. They believe that In the spiritual journey of the true and pure Christians, necessity is laid on them to get married if their spiritual and physical journey in life; that’s their physical life and spiritual service (their fellowship with God) to God would at all be meaningful and productive to them, to the people around them and to the entire world, and most especially, to God, the one their service is directed and received by.
Now, knowing these facts, Christians see incomparably and indispensably how beneficial and necessary marriage is to the life of humanity, and most especially to their success in their services to God, both in the spirit and physical realm.
Purposes Of Marriage
As it’s obvious that God does not do anything without purpose, but for purpose He does His own things. Everything he created is for a particular purpose. He brought about the existence of marriage with the main purpose of solving the problem (lonesomeness) faced with human being (Adam, the first man created) in the garden of Eden—Adam was alone and completely helpless. As lonesomeness has been confirmed to be one of the critical states a man could ever find himself in life, it’s therefore obvious to the eyes that it’s as a result of this that God has created marriage in the garden of Eden. Therefore, under here are seven major purposes for which the Almighty God has created marriage, as explained one after the other.
- Help—This is number one reason for the existence of marriage. Man (Adam), in his first state, was helpless and lonely, having no one to comfort him and to keep his company. He was completely alone, and God saw that it (the lonely/lonesome state was not perfect man) was not good enough for him to alone, and thus created woman to be his helper (helpmate).
- Companionship—As said earlier, because of the state of lonesomeness that Adam was (state of imperfection, no friend, nobody) God deemed it fit to remove this state out of the way of man and thereby fill it up with companionship hence the existence of woman (Eve)
- Childbearing—For God’s covenant of blessings of multiplication to come to pass, which He has made with man in the book Genesis, God made possible the existence of woman that he may be having offsprings through sexual intercourse with the woman, and thus become multiplied as it’s happening today.
- Sex—As said in point number three that God created marriage so that man and woman, as husband and wife, to be having sexual intercourse with themselves for enjoyment.
- Remedy for fornication—Marriage is created as a remedy for fornication. It’s created to solve the problem of sexual immortality that wages war against the soul and spirit of man because of lack of self-control
- Comfort—Above all, marriage is created for the comfort of humanity to live a covenant and purpose fulfilling life—life that pleases the lord.
- Complement—Marriage is complementary in nature, and thus it’s created to make man complete, as it’s clearly seen to make man complete completely in his incomplete state when there was no person to be his companion in the garden of Eden. It removes imperfection from the state of man and put perfection in place.
Marriage is a vital component of the life of every human being. It’s created purposely to bring perfect comfort to humanity. It’s an incomparable and indisputable perfect state of honour, dignity and respect for mankind. It’s a covenant and destiny fulfilling state for every human beings to fulfil their destiny on this land of the living. It serves a special divine function and purpose in human beings’ life, and this has made it appear so important and inevitable in their life and destiny. Marriage is a covenant and power to our destiny.